Monday, October 27, 2008

My decision on pets

Hey everyone, Mio here and in much better health. I've taken some time while I was sick I took some time to run some tests and crunch some numbers when it comes to pets. I would have done it slightly more in depth but the numbers just spoke for themselves. I've decided that cunning pets just aren't for me. While some of the talents in the cunning tree sound ok the damage is just too reduced for me to take one as a pet. So what I did was setup recount and sent DPS pets at the practice dummy for 20 seconds each. Yay for the handy new timer. Anyway, my 70 cat average around the high 7,000s, my then 69 Core hound averaged around the mid 6,000s, I then respecced him and he jumped to the low 7,000s. Then I took out my 68 Chimera and sent him to attack the dummy, he averages in the low 4,000s. Wow, that was a drastic drop, I then respecced him to do the most DPS he could flat out and he jumped to the high 4,000s. At this point I could see that even with all the buffs with both the boss and him being at low health it just wouldn't do the same kind of damage my ferocity pets were, so I made sure he was well fed and let him go.

Now I had two free slots in my stable and I knew which new pets I wanted to try. I knew I needed a non AOE tank, Kimoni is amazing for multiple mobs but he just doesn't do well for single tragets. I had already decided that I wanted to pick up a bear and a worm. I just hve to say I haven't seen ANYONE other than me for a little while running around with a worm. I can kinda understand that because I'm waiting for Wrath to come out to get a nice pretty fluffy worm. The ones out in Northrend look amazing. Anyway, I sent Kimoni, who's at 69, after the target dummy and he only did about 4,000 damage. This didn't worry me too much becasue 1 tanks don't nessicarily do a lot of damage and B he's an AOE tank, not a single target tank. Anyway, I then sent the Worm I picked up from RFC, level 65, after the dummy and he did damage in the low 5,000 range! I was very impressed. I know most people think they're ugly but I find the worms cute in an ugly sort of way. Next I sent in the bear, now you should know there is a bit of a back story behind the bear.

I've always wanted a bear but with only 3 slots in the stable I didn't have the space, I had Kainda, Reptar (who has been let free back in blades edge) and a free slot to tame pets for skills. Now that I have 5 slots and don't have to train for skills I was gonna get a bear, and not just any bear, but a cute little black bear. The only place to find ones that aren't rare are in Dwarf and Gnome country....well crap. I really wanted the black bear though so I flew over to Kargath and ran back up into Loch Modan and promptly tamed myself a cute little bear. I was trying to think of a name when the perfect one came to mind and I couldn't stop laughing, so I named him Devon. Devon is an RL friend who's a bear so I just couldn't resist. Anyway back to the numbers.

I sent Devon after the dummy and he did just as well as the worm. So I plan on keeping him as well as picking up a new worm once wrath comes out. So my stable is full and I'm happy with my decision, I'm keeping my bear and it'll take another REALLY good pet to replace the worm slot in my stable.

No comments: